This opportunity is now closed.
Florida Sea Grant is pleased to once again partner with the Florida Outdoor Writers Association to award the 2021 FOWA Scholarship for Outdoor Communicators.
The scholarship is competitive and open to students at Florida colleges and universities, or to any college student whose application is endorsed by a FOWA member or a faculty adviser. Up to three scholarships of $1,000 each are awarded. These scholarships are intended for college-aged students whose career goals are to communicate to the public an appreciation for hunting, fishing and other aspects of the outdoor experience. Preference will be given to journalism and communications majors. Learn more about past recipients of the FOWA Scholarship Program.
Applicants are asked to submit a packet consisting of:
- An essay of 500 to 750 words that expresses your appreciation for the outdoor experience.
- A letter of endorsement/recommendation by the applicant’s faculty adviser or FOWA member.
- An up-to-date resumé that demonstrates the applicant’s scholastic merit and extracurricular activities.
- (Optional) Supporting materials such as links to published articles, YouTube videos, or websites that applicants would like to include for judges’ consideration.
|Open for Application||May 3, 2021|
|Application Deadline||June 14, 2021; 3 p.m. EST|
|Applications Review||July 2021|
|Finalist Selection||End of July 2021|
|Awards||Scholarship payments and 1-year membership to FOWA|
|Recipients Recognition||During FOWA Annual Conference, August 18-21, 2021 (Sarasota, Florida)|
- The application process is online. Applicants should combine their essay and resumé in one PDF document. The combined essay and resumé document should be uploaded to the ‘Student Application’ web link in the table below.
- Any supporting materials should be combined in a separate PDF document and uploaded to the application site.
- A letter of recommendation should be submitted by the applicant’s faculty advisor or FOWA member, in PDF format, to the separate ‘Letter Writers’ web link provided in the table below.
Submit Your Application Here
For questions about the scholarship or the application process, contact: