This opportunity is now closed.
Guy Harvey Scholarship Awards in 2018 will support undergraduate and graduate students who are enrolled full time at Florida institutions of higher education who are conducting research related to the biology, ecology, habitat or management of fish in Florida’s marine environment.
We look forward to receiving packages from highly qualified students. View current and past Guy Harvey scholarship award recipients at this web link, or read about selected Guy Harvey scholars in this publication.
Up to eight scholarships will be given this year to outstanding Florida students. The scholars will receive a certificate designed and signed by Guy Harvey, and $5,000 to support their academic program.
The awards program takes into consideration the breadth of research methods needed to effectively understand and sustainably manage marine fish. Students conducting field observations, experiments, modelling or data synthesis are all eligible for this scholarship opportunity.
For an idea of what kinds of projects have been funded, visit the page of current and past scholarship recipients.
Applicants should submit:
(1) a current resume
(2) a two-page career statement describing the key experiences that led you to this point in your career, explaining your qualifications for this scholarship
(3) one letter of recommendation submitted directly to the address listed below by the letter writer (or signed and e-mailed as a PDF).
(4) A signed letter from the student’s faculty advisor on university letterhead that says ‘[student name] is applying for the 2018 Guy Harvey Scholarship. I hereby affirm that this student is enrolled full-time and is in good standing, and that I am [her/his] faculty advisor during the scholarship period.’
(5) a photocopy of your college transcripts
(6) two-page description of the research you are conducting for your master’s thesis, Ph.D. dissertation, or formal undergraduate research project.
This is a student scholarship and no indirect costs are allowed.
No match is required.
Want to increase your chances for success? We’ve compiled 7 Scholarship-Maximizing Tips on our Facebook page!
This scholarship is funded by the Guy Harvey Ocean Foundation, and it is administered by the Florida Sea Grant College Program. A panel of faculty members from Florida universities will review applications and recommend scholarship finalists to the Guy Harvey Ocean Foundation.
Applicant materials can be submitted electronically or by mail to:
Melissa Macarages, Florida Sea Grant College Program
1762 McCarty Drive, Building 803 University of Florida
PO Box 110400
Gainesville, FL 32611-0400
Thursday, January 18, 2018, 4 p.m. EST