This opportunity is now open.
Deadline: Thursday, January 9, 2020, 3 p.m. EST. Applications must be submitted online at the link provided below. No mail or email applications will be accepted.
Guy Harvey Scholarship Awards in 2020 will support undergraduate and graduate students who are enrolled full time at Florida institutions of higher education who are conducting research related to the biology, ecology, habitat or management of fish in Florida’s marine environment.
We look forward to receiving packages from highly qualified students. View current and past Guy Harvey scholarship award recipients at this web link.
Up to eight scholarships will be given this year to outstanding Florida students. The scholars will receive a certificate designed and signed by Guy Harvey, and $5,000 to support their academic program.
The awards program takes into consideration the breadth of research methods needed to effectively understand and sustainably manage marine fish. Students conducting field observations, experiments, modelling or data synthesis are all eligible for this scholarship opportunity.
For an idea of what kinds of projects have been funded, visit the page of current and past scholarship recipients.
To complete this application you will need:
- a current resume.
- a two-page career statement which describes the key experiences that led you to this point in your career and explains your qualifications for this scholarship.
- a photocopy of your college transcripts.
- two-page description of the research you are conducting for your master’s thesis, Ph.D. dissertation, or formal undergraduate research project.
- one letter of recommendation (PDF) submitted directly online at the link provided below.
- A signed letter from the student’s faculty advisor on university letterhead, submitted directly online at the link provided below, that says ‘[student name] is applying for the 2020 Guy Harvey Scholarship. I hereby affirm that this student is enrolled full-time and is in good standing, and that I am [her/his] faculty advisor during the scholarship period.’
This is a student scholarship and no indirect costs are allowed.
No match is required.
Submitting Your Application
Students, Letter Writers and Faculty Advisors should upload their documents via this link:
2020 Guy Harvey Scholarship Award application submittal link
Students: Please combine items 1, 2, 3, and 4 (resume, two-page career statement, photocopy of transcripts and two-page description of research) in one PDF document to upload. How to combine and merge files into one PDF
Want to increase your chances for success? We’ve compiled 7 Scholarship-Maximizing Tips on our Facebook page!
This scholarship is funded by the Guy Harvey Ocean Foundation, and it is administered by the Florida Sea Grant College Program. A panel of faculty members from Florida universities will review applications and recommend scholarship finalists to the Guy Harvey Ocean Foundation.
For questions about the scholarship or the application process, contact:
Florida Sea Grant College Program
University Of Florida
1762 McCarty Drive, Building 803
PO Box 110400
Gainesville, FL 32611-0400
Thursday, January 9, 2020, 3 p.m. EST