Originally published on shellfish.ifas.ufl.edu/. Last modified: October 7, 2022

For growers located in counties where the USDA Farm Service Agency’s (FSA) local infrastructure has been impacted by Hurricane Ian, the agency has established state-specific toll-free information lines where growers in need can receive immediate information regarding available FSA assistance.

If your local FSA office is closed, you can contact the FSA Call Center at 1-877-508-8364. The line is staffed Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET or email: SM.FPAC.FSA.FLFSA.Disaster@USDA.GOV If possible, FSA is requesting growers include their county in the subject line of the email, this will expedite the response time of their team.

Reporting Losses/Submitting Applications

If your operation was impacted by a natural disaster and you have an interest in participating in an available disaster assistance program, you should report losses and damages to FSA.

ELAP – Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybees, and Farm-raised Fish Program: File notice of loss within 30 days for shellfish.

NAP – Non-insured Crop Disaster Assistance Program: File notice of loss within 15 days,

On farmers.gov, the Hurricane resources webpage, Disaster Assistance Discovery Tool, Disaster Assistance-at-a-Glance fact sheet, and Farm Loan Discovery Tool can help producers and landowners determine program or loan options.

Compiled by:
Leslie Sturmer, Shellfish Aquaculture Extension Agent, UF/IFAS Florida Sea Grant