- Collect and integrate social science information into a geographic modeling framework developed by the USGS that can support effective CMSP.
- Contribute to comprehensive spatial planning in the coastal and marine environments.
- Determine how social perceptions, knowledge, and values of ecosystem services drive individual and collective decisions and actions that affect coastal economies and resiliency.
- Map the social values attributed to ecosystem services by important stakeholder subgroups, differentiated according to their attitudes about human uses of coastal regions.
- Address management needs by developing a set of simple informative tools for collecting and evaluating the social values of ecosystem services.
- Encourage its use by explicitly linking data collection, analysis, and outcomes to management needs and actions in coastal ecosystems.