Introductory Training in
Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
Using Applications for Natural Resource Management
Florida Sea Grant, the University of Florida IFAS Extension, and Golder Associates invites you to register for a 3.5-day intensive training using ArcGIS Pro, a powerful tool for managing natural resources and guiding growth and development processes.
The next training is scheduled for:
August 15 – 18, 2022
In this Training
You will be introduced to ArcGIS Pro, the primary product used by professionals to compile, analyze, and manage geographic information.
You will learn the most commonly used GIS skills in the industry today by completing “real-world” exercises that will build your confidence using GIS, increase your awareness about GIS data sources and help you explore GIS tools to enhance your research program.
How It Works
AT THE UF COMPUTER LAB
The training consists of a series of short lectures, which will introduce geospatial concepts. Lectures will be followed by exercises that attendees will complete using ArcGIS Pro 2.9, applying the concepts learned.
During the training, each participant will have access to a computer workstation with all the needed materials and software, printed workbook documenting the steps required to complete the exercises and the information presented during lectures. Several trainers will be on hand to provide assistance.
The training is conducted in one of the computer labs located on the University of Florida Main campus. Attendees are expected to adhere to UF guidelines related with the COVID-19 virus at the time of the in-person training. For more information, please visit https://coronavirus.ufl.edu/
Daily schedule for the in-person training:
MONDAY –> 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
TUESDAY –> 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
WEDNESDAY –> 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
THURSDAY –> 8:30 am – 12:00 pm
AGOL and Field Maps App – extra training module online
To accommodate those who cannot attend in-person, we will be also offering a virtual platform.
You will be given access to the training lectures and materials:
– Geospatial concepts will be introduce via modules that consist of short videos explaining fundamental concepts.
– Exercises instructions and materials.
– The modules also contain interactive quizzes for your own self-evaluation of progress.
– You will have access to the training materials and instructors for a month (which start with an introductory meeting with an instructor).
– The online version will be launch on August 16, 2022.
– You will have access to the training materials and instructors until September 15, 2022 (30 days).
– Instructors will be available via email/zoom meetings to discuss any questions or issues while taking the online training.
Requirements for the online version:
– Participants should have access to a computer. To see your computer’s ability to run ArcGIS Pro 2.9 go to https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/arcgis-pro-system-requirements.htm. Please note that the ArGIS software is NOT compatible with Mac computers unless the computer has a Windows partition.
– An excellent internet connection.
– If needed, participants can download the trial version of the ArcGIS Pro 2.9 software (21 days) just prior to the training.
Who and Why You Should Attend
What You Will Learn
Collecting and Mapping Field Data Using a Smart Phone or Tablet
We are excited to offer an extra training module to guide you through the steps necessary to collect and map your own field data.
This new module will train you to:
- create a data dictionary,
- collect new spatial data in the field, and
- create and share your spatial data using ArcGIS Field Maps App and ArcGIS Online (AGOL).
This is an extra module that requires registration and an extra fee. This module will be taught online.
People interested in participating only in this module should have previous experience in ArcGIS Pro and geographic information systems.
For the 3.5-day training:
UF Faculty and Staff . . . . . . . . $550
UF Students . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$300
Non-UF Professionals . . . . . . $550
AGOL & Field Maps (extra module) Training participants $50
AGOL & Field Maps (extra module) Non-Training participants $100
Please visit the Eventbrite website for registration:
Our Contact Details!
email@example.com | (352) 392-6234
GIS Training Test Scores
Exercises and Materials
Electronic versions of materials and exercises can be found in this link.
This information is password protected.
The information to access these materials is provided to participants during the GIS Training.